After opening restaurant in USA, the next thing you must do is choose the right design and perfect decor. But picking an ideal “design” is not an easy task.
Every year the trend changes. Five years ago, there was a huge buzz for timeless outdoor style. While recently, mirror settings have been everywhere.
It might not be possible for new businesses to change their settings every year. So, what design should you choose?
To solve this dilemma of yours, our interior designers and marketing professionals have done detailed research. We have picked some exceptional ideas that will surely inspire you.
Things To Consider Before Designing
Apart from the budget, there are several things you must know before you change the decor. Some of the essentials are:
- Seating Layout Plan
- Lighting On Walls And Ceiling
- Color Of Interior
- Emergency Exit
- Natural Sunlight And Fresh Air
20 Best Low Budget Small Restaurant Design Ideas
Color and patterns are absolutely essential for eateries. Color psychology could also trick your customers into a soothing mood.
Remember, before a guest tries out your food, they’ll judge your restaurant decor and style. So, win them over and make a statement with the first impression.
1. Wide Round Mirror At Entrance – Styling Is The Key!
Wall mount a wide round mirror to give a welcoming atmosphere. Ensure that the edges are clean and framed to prevent sudden cuts.
- Style it with matt colors and add flowers or leaves around it.
- For indoor seatings, keep the frame shade plain.
- Don’t put too many lights near it to prevent any glare.
Keep in mind that the wall mirror doesn’t have to be designed by any top-notch designer. For the best visuals, we recommend you use a 5×5 feet round mirror.
2. Decorate The Lobby With Chandelier – Mesmerize Everyone
The common mistake restaurant owners make is neglecting the lobby. Taste is king when guests will enjoy the food. Before that, awe them with your bold decor.
- The chandelier must be huge but not messy.
- Don’t choose a bulky and heavy piece.
- Ensure that the glass must be clean and reflect light.
A wide chandelier is also considered the best lighting for restaurant. Depending on your budget, you can also use two or more hanging pieces.
3. Convert Concrete Pillars Into Art – Let’s Do Things Right!
Being a professional interior designer, I don’t have anything more than a hefty pillar. Technically, they are good and vital to support your building. The only solution is to hide them.
- Cover it with wood pallets and give an illusion of an indoor tree.
- You can also make an infinite pattern structure.
- Don’t overuse bright shades, and smooth the edges with sandpaper.
Depending on the space size, you could simply wrap the LED lights around the pillar. But, it is best to stick with natural colors for the best intermix.
What makes a good restaurant design?
Comfortable seating and perfect lighting make a great restaurant design. Even though “Taste Is The King,” but you also need to work on decor to attract customers.
4. Display Local Artist’s Work – Art For Peace
You won’t find any single cafe in Scandinavia without an art piece. So, why not promote local talent while filling the dull walls with expressions? Here’s how to pick the perfect painting or artwork.
- Abstract art blends well with the white or dull color interior.
- It is best to avoid explicit images or art by racist painters.
- Keep the balance while hanging multiple pieces.
Convergence, Broadway Boogie-Woogie, and Blue Poles are some of the exceptional abstract art pieces. When it comes to art, the sky’s the limit.
5. Bring Plants And Flowers In – Stand Out With Boldness
While designing the restaurant structure, it is best to keep some space reserved for plants. But you can also do it by placing some plants later.
- Lavender is the best choice if you opt for real plants.
- Cover the pot’s upper base with pebbles and hide visible soil.
- Ensure that pots are made of marble or plane surface.
Marigold, Basil, and mint are some of the best options as they repel bugs. You could also pick artificial vines.
6. Hang Dim Light Bulbs – Spark The Dim Passion
Dim hanging lights are also vital and look aesthetic in your cafe or eatery. They are energy efficient and also look incredible.
- Don’t hang a single light per table.
- Ensure that light bulbs are not aligned and fully glowing.
- Go for different shapes but avoid different light shades.
The lights must be dim enough so your guests can see the internal glowing element. With the help of hanging bulbs, you can also adjust restaurant table spacing.
How can I make my restaurant look expensive?
You can use royal chairs and dim lighting to give an exquisite touch. Don’t ignore the dining tables and put small decoration pieces on them.
7. Use Few Swing Chairs – Go Beyond The Box
Do you want people to remember your restaurant and refer it to others? Then, go over a mile to impress your customers. Hanging hammock chairs will surely bring a smile to everyone’s face.
- Always pick egg-shaped hammock chairs indoors.
- Keep the color basic white or cream, and style it with vines.
- You can replace a few chairs with swings for entertainment.
Remember, don’t just add a swing to every table. As it would look ugly and not be practical for eating curry or enjoying dinner.
8. Redesign The Balcony With Neon – Activate Party Hard Mood
Why stick to basic and old seating settings? At some point, you might need to add an extension to entertain young people looking for night joy. This is where the balcony will come in handy.
- Use multicolor neon lights and play some jazz music.
- Arrange tables linearly and save space for walking.
- Add some Moroccan patterns to give a refreshing touch.
You can use it to host the New Year’s gala, or it could be the best discreet place for couples for some quality time.
9. Add Roof To Floor Windows – Bring In Natural Light!
Always have at least one glass wall with a view. It will bring natural sunlight in and keep your customer busy while waiting for food.
- For hot States, ensure to have a thin transparent thermal coating.
- Regularly clean them and place some natural flowers alongside.
- Install LED light strips over the window frame and use them at night.
For the park-viewing cafes and pubs, it is best to use less green color in the interior. Balance the green with patterns and bright chair cushions.
Quick Tip From Team Instructables Designers
Focus on your potential clients. Don’t forget to make kid zones as sometimes parents want to keep children busy while eating out. Clean washrooms daily and never compromise on taste.
10. Redesign Breakfast Zone – Save Space And Your Money!
Usually, most restaurants serve breakfast up to 11 a.m. You can use the free side spaces to make a long breakfast table. It could also be used as a kid’s zone.
- Set the chairs in L-shape and ensure no direct light on the table.
- Put a few cushions around to make people comfortable.
- Use bright colors art but also balance them with light shades.
You can also add a few background paintings. Use sharp and bright shades to paint. Avoid or use minimal red as it will intermix with food or ketchup.
11. Intermix The Furniture – Small Budget Adjustments
Let’s be honest, restaurant furniture is expensive, and sometimes you can’t afford 500 chairs at a time. Well, that’s totally ok and something that you can handle well.
- Mix and match different furniture depending on pattern and shades.
- While using mixed shades, it is essential to keep the ceiling white.
- Place plants and flowers nearby for aesthetic appearance.
The best strategy is to use bright and dull shades together. Don’t keep a table all bright or other dull as it’ll look un-uniformed.
12. Add A Dream Board – You Can Achieve It!
Back in 2015, before I started my career as an interior designer. I went out for brunch in a small cafe. I first noticed the minimal “dream board,” and I instantly loved this idea.
- Make a board out of real wood pallets.
- Keep the paper and pen nearby.
- Add some famous quotes and inspirational lines to it.
Speaking of my experience, people will love this idea. And, to be honest, everyone needs an inspirational push every day. So, why not let others give life lessons?
13. Use Neon Light Writings – Trendy And Minimalistic
For the past two years, neon writings have been highly in demand, and people adore them. It is pocket friendly and looks amazing.
- Write a meaningful sentence and use luminous white light.
- Ensure that the background wall is not plain.
- Don’t put any direct LED glow over it to prevent glare.
Use half lines like “and happily ever after” of something really catchy. Don’t use explicit words or anything that could affect you while getting Michelin Star.
Consequences Of Poor Hygiene
Poor hygiene can affect the quality of food you serve. Due to no proper cleanliness, your guest could get influenza or food poisoning. In worst-case scenarios, you may also end up with a legal notice.
14. Put Some Celeb Photos – JusT Present The Better Vision!
There are plenty of iconic moments in the fashion world that everyone adores. Choose your favorite icon, from Marilyn Monroe to Salt Bea, and you are good to go.
- Pick an iconic moment and frame it by applying three different filters.
- Add some wall light to maintain a minimalist look.
- Frame the famous saying by a specific celeb and put it on the wall.
You could also ask your customers to vote on what next look they want to see. This will also look unique; you can save money on a tight budget.
15. Make Lover’s Den – Experience Starry Night
If you have a free space or rooftop, then it’s the best idea to improve the dining experience. Make plastic huts or use glass domes to ignite the passion of your guests.
- Make a hut frame with lightweight steel and paint it black.
- Use plastic around to make a room.
- Put a moon lamp on the table and some plants outside the den.
Let me assure you that people will love this idea. It’s unique and beautiful. You can also use it for your fast-food restaurant. It is best to operate the lover’s den only at night.
16. Put Some Flowers On Table – Every Day Is Flower Day
No need to spend your hard-earned money on small extensions. If you think that the previous design is just fine. Then, you can bring a little change by putting flowers in the dining zone.
- Use glass bottles rather than plastic for a royal appearance.
- Change the water for flowers every day.
- Use a wood log to place glass jars on it.
Don’t place plants on the table if you have a green interior or nearby lush flowers. These settings mostly suit weddings or business meeting setups.
17. Use Your Porch Or Veranda – Utilize Every Available Space
For a moment, let’s just keep the porch vs veranda space aside and utilize it. You can use this place for summer afternoons or a sunroom in winter.
- Use matte color settings and keep the furniture color basic.
- Place some bugs to repel plants to ensure no mosquitoes.
- Use hanging bulbs or fairy lights for nights.
By doing so, you can have additional space. It could come in handy when there is more crowd in your eatery.
How To Run Your Restaurant Successfully?
Customer service is very important. Your customers are gonna spend money, and they must be welcomed nicely.
The Interior and food should be sound and fresh. Never compromise on food. Keep in mind that your restaurant can get sued for food poisoning lawsuit.
18. Bright Up Sidewalk – But First Get The License!
This trend is extremely popular in NYC state. Almost every other restaurant in downtown Manhattan uses the sidewalks without disturbing anyone. Rules and regulations vary in every state.
- First, get a sidewalk cafe permit.
- Use bright colors to attract people.
- At night, put a candle on the table.
Sidewalk seating always helps out small cafes in NYC. Ensure not to cross the “limit” as you don’t want to involve the law or hurt your guests.
19. Set Up A Road Trip Table – Traveler’s Gotta Go
If you have a small pub or cafe near a gas station or along the highway, Then this idea will double the seating space. Here’s how you can brighten up your place while staying on budget.
- Set the table to align with the window and ensure no direct light.
- Place a small decoration piece on it.
- Put some plants nearby and keep the theme dark.
You can also carve “drive safe” or “see you again” on the door handle. Small gestures will connect you with your guests and ensure repeat customers.
20. Cheer Up The Nature – Best For Family Owned Cafe
Small family-owned restaurants are beautiful and serve the best food on a budget. Such businesses should not make drastic changes but rather involve more nature.
- Use the home extension and arrange L-shape seating there.
- Bring in more Sunlight and use task lights on the ceiling.
- Keep the interior dull and prefer light shades.
Furthermore, you can use the open kitchen concept and request your visitors to check out the cooking zone.
Restaurant Space Requirements – A Checklist
Here’re some key factors you must follow for a balanced floor plan.
- Easy access to the cooking areas for essential workers.
- For hot States, It’s best to place countertop nugget ice makers nearby.
- Balanced seating plan with easy access to the emergency door.
- Back door kitchen access for groceries and staff.
- An exquisite menu. Don’t use difficult exotic words.
- Working and stable air conditioning.
It is best to invest a little bit in entertainment. Keep playing soft lounge music and avoid heavy metal sounds.
Wrapping It Up!
Designing a restaurant on a low budget is not an easy task. Instead of changing the whole floor plan, you can change the paint and small decor pieces.
It is best to use more natural lighting and blend it with task lights for a balanced glow. Don’t mix bright colors with dark shades.
Always put your customer first and avoid culturally inappropriate paintings or slang to display as art. For outdoor setup, invest in bug-repelling lights. Ensure to have an entertainment source for guests while they wait for their food.