Keeping your portable ice maker clean will ensure that it keeps on performing well over time and delivers the best quality ice to chill your drinks.
Proper cleaning also ensures that your ice machine is free from any germs or bacteria.
Cleaning an ice maker is an easy process and requires just a few minutes of your time using readily available cleaning supplies.
This article will show you how to clean an ice maker at home by following a few easy steps!
HOW OFTEN SHOULD AN ICE MACHINE BE CLEANED?
A portable ice maker should be cleaned regularly to maintain the quality of ice and durability of the ice maker. For home usage, it is ideal for cleaning a portable ice maker once or twice a month.
However, the cleaning cycle can vary depending on several factors, such as usage of the ice machine or quality of water. So how do you know if it is time to clean your ice maker?
If your portable ice maker is showing the following signs, then it probably requires cleaning:
- It takes longer than usual to produce ice.
- Thin and soft ice with an unclear pattern.
- Residual material (dust or plague) is found in ice cubes.
- Getting unevenly shaped ice that melts quickly.
- Plagued or pale interior walls of ice maker.
These indications may affect producing quality ice, and thus cleaning the ice maker could revive its efficiency. There are also other factors, such as where the ice maker is stored or placed. If the area around the ice maker is dusty or dirty, the ice maker can collect residue.
HOW TO CLEAN A COUNTERTOP ICE MAKER STEP-BY-STEP:
- First, you need to unplug the ice maker to avoid any electroshock incidents. In this way, you can safely carry out the cleaning process.
- Drain out the leftover water from the container and remove any ice that is left in the ice maker.
- Wipe down the interior of the ice maker using a soft cloth to make it dry.
- Remove the accessories and parts such as ice buckets or scoops etc.
- Prepare the cleaning solution by mixing a 10:1 ratio of warm water and vinegar.
HOW TO CLEAN INSIDE OF A PORTABLE ICE MAKER?
- After removing the interior parts, use a soft cloth and moisturize it with the cleaning solution.
- Clean the removable internal parts of the ice maker with the solution and soft cloth.
- Wipe and clean the water tank with a soft cloth and solution. You can use a damp cloth to clean thoroughly through the tough spots.
- After washing the parts, reassemble them in the portable ice maker.
- Plugin the portable ice maker and fill in the water to rinse the ice maker and water tank.
- Repeat the procedure by making a few batches of ice and rinsing the water out. Add a few drops of lemon juice to get rid of the foul odor in the ice.
- After rinsing the ice maker several times with the solution, drain out the answer and add some freshwater to make clear ice.
HOW TO CLEAN OUTSIDE OF A PORTABLE ICE MAKER?
If you carry your ice makers outdoors they could carry a lot of dust and germs, here’s how to get rid of both:
- Once you have cleaned the interior, you can focus on cleaning the exterior.
- You can use a damp cloth to clean the body.
- Use a mixture of water and cleaning soap to wipe any residue or dirt outside the ice maker gently.
- Avoid using chlorine or other chemical cleaners as they may react with the external body of the ice maker.
- Ensure to keep it dry and clean on the outside to maintain the productivity and reliability of the portable ice maker.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON’T CLEAN YOUR COUNTERTOP ICE MAKER?
If you don’t clean your ice machine regularly, it may collect bacteria from the residue and plague inside the ice maker. Bacteria tend to grow on the cold spots that are not cleaned properly. Food contaminants and bacteria can mix with ice which can lead to various diseases such as food poisoning.
Besides that, it can also affect the efficiency of the ice maker to produce ice properly and may cause malfunction. The interior of the ice maker may also become rusty and dirty, causing corrosion on various parts. It may cause ice to possess a bad smell while consuming.
But to save you from suffering any of these mishaps, we have stated guidelines about how you can clean your ice machine. Some portable ice makers have automatic cleaning functions; therefore, make sure to read the manual before you begin the cleaning process.
HOW TO CLEAN AN ICE MAKER WITH VINEGAR?
Vinegar is mildly acidic. Therefore, it works well on the stains and prevents any bacteria from growing back. Using vinegar mixed with water is a subtle approach if you want to avoid interaction with the chemicals.
To prepare the vinegar cleaning solution, add half a cup of white vinegar in a cup of water and mix well to prepare a spraying solution. You can increase the amount of vinegar if you look to clean more tough spots or dilute with water to decrease the effect. Use a soft cloth to clean the interiors of the portable ice maker with this solution and make sure to dry well.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Can I use bleach to clean my ice machine?
Bleach can be used to clean some of the interior parts of the portable ice maker. You can wash off any challenging dirty parts and slime with the help of bleach to remove the yellowish effect. Make sure to use a measured proportion of bleach .with water
What is ice machine sanitizer made of?
Machine sanitizers are made of 80% water and 20% chlorine. Machine sanitizers are effective in removing algae and bacteria usually grown in cold environments and water surfaces.
Does vinegar kill mold?
The acidic nature of vinegar is practical on bacteria and much more effective than bleach in that case. It also helps to stop mold growth and maintains a long-lasting prevention effect.
Portable ice makers are an efficient and convenient product to use for kitchen appliances. Ice makers are perfect partners for your drinks and provide you with excellent output anytime. But maintenance of these appliances is equally essential as their usage. Following the provided steps, you can extend the durability and usability of your expensive portable ice maker.
Related: How to Defrost Samsung Ice Maker